Thursday, August 21, 2014

Memory by Diana Carolina Munera


Remarkable Memory

When I was five years old, I lived in my grandparent's house with my mom in Quibdó. I was a very happy girl. I went to kindergarten and I had many friends. My father lived in Medellín but he used to visit us very often.

In June, on vacations I remember that my dad was with me very early in the morning. We were driving in a car in a nearby neighborhood. Then, he took an urgent call. My grandmother called him because my grandfather was very sick. My father and me returned to home and when we arrived I left the car. Immediately, some neighbors carried my grandfather to the car. They made it to the hospital very fast.

I didn´t understand too much, I was still wearing my pajamas. I took a bath and wait however, the wait was short. Bad news came. My grandpa suffered a fatal heart attack, the doctor couldn´t save his life. This news was heartbreaking for the family.

The family were devastated. My mom for example was in Bogotá, She was working there. She called home that morning and my grandma couldn´t tell her, I should have told her.

An uncle lived in Bogotá by that time and My mom and he traveled to Quibdó for entombment. My grandpa died on June 2 and the entombment was on June 3 the same day of mom´s birthday. It was a bad birthday gift.

Now, 17 years after, I remember this terrible day for me and my family because, he was a wonderful father, husband and grandfather. He was a magnificent example of living.

I was just a little girl back then, maybe for many people is hard to remember an anecdote at that age, but it´s was so strong and powerful that I cant´n remember clearly.

Remember is to live again and for me this is a painful memory but I know he was a brave and loving man and that makes me to remember to him.


Diana Carolina Munera Herrera

No comments:

Post a Comment